The Master Program in Management of Product Development enables participants to analyse, design, operate, and implement product development processes in their companies in an optimized way. Based on a highly integrative and creative approach, they can successfully translate innovative ideas into competitive products.
Focus Points of Product Development
- Integrated product development: process planning with e.g. portfolio analysis, value analysis, DSM Blockchain Technology
- Simulation methods (e.g. FEM, BEM)
- PLM, PDM, ERP, CRM & SCM systems
- Industry 4.0: Strategic product portfolio & services
Shape the Future through Innovation in Product Development
The Master's program Management in Product Development is splitted in 5 Engineering and 5 Management Modules of 2 weeks, each over a period of 15 months. The modules are followed by a Master Thesis written in the company (9 months) and often used as a innovation project for the company. The overall duration is approx. 20 months.
|Engineering Modules||Management Modules|
Mr. Gian-Pietro Solinas
+49 721 608 47902
Innovation is the overcoming of instilled trails of thought, new approaches and solutions, and the implementation of these in successful products is our driving force.
That's what makes our Master´s Program Management of Product Development distinctive
Program Content & International Lectures
The Master´s Program Management of Product Development considers itself as a mixture of applied scientific research and application-oriented development in the areas of methods and processes of product development and systems and components of drive train engineering and mechatronics. Our objective is to find innovative solutions by the means of team-oriented work, based on performance and commitment of each member of the board.
"Made in China" is becoming increasingly important and global players are steadily expanding their production facilities in China. Therefore, one of the Engineering Modules of the Master Program in Management of Product Development is held at the KIT China Branch in Suzhou in cooperation with the Global Advanced Manufacturing Institute (GAMI).
Program Structure & Academic Calendar
The concurrently taught Executive Master Program is designed for working professionals. Block lectures scheduled at intervals allow participants to continue with demanding careers while acquiring new skills.
5 Management Modules presents broader knowledge in management know-how, including two modules conveying the universal topic of digitalization and the associated disruptive innovations. The 5 Engineering Modules provide deeper knowledge in technological topics.
Download: Academic Calendar Intake 2021 (PDF)
Content Overview & Learning Targets
Order now our so called "Content Overview and Learning Targets" (COLT) to get a better understanding into the content of your favoured Master Program. You will get an overview over
- Study objectives (e.g. professional qualification for certain activities, scientific work, knowledge of methods)
- Structure of the study programme
- Content and definition of courses (sub-areas, focal points)
- Study plan
Economic Sector & Career Perspectives
Participants of Product Development
Future engineering executives working in product development or product management, e.g. in:
- Machinery and equipment industry
- Automotive industry and suppliers
- Measurement technology and cybernetics
- Major appliances industry, e.g. white goods
Career Perspectives after Graduation
Participants of our program in Product Development strive for a demanding career in manufacturing companies in various industries. Product development is certainly one of the core means of adding value in companies. Only successful processes can lead to competitive products. Increasing demands for tailor-made product solutions, low production costs, high quality standards, reduced development times, and shortened product lifecycles require highly qualified professionals.
"For me it was a great experience and a challenge to master this study. The HECTOR School Master Program Management of Product Development gave me a comprehensive understanding about today's product development challenges. In addition, Business and Management basics courses expanded the knowledge needed for my professional work. In the Master specific courses, I picked up a lot of new ideas and approaches, which are helpful in my job. My opinion is that this program was a very good professional development."
Thomas Kiefer, HECTOR School Graduate MPD, Thales Canada
Find more Alumni Voices of our Master´s Programs
Academic Requirements & Admission Statutes
- University degree in a relevant subject
- Professional experience (at least 1-2 years) & current employment
- English proficiency
Statutes for admission to the Master's programme in Financial Engineering (only available in German).
Program Directors & Faculties
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. h.c. Albert Albers
Prof. Dr. Martin Klarmann
KIT Teaching Quality
The HECTOR School offers top-level teaching derived from state-of-the-art research at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT). Numerous institutes and departments of the KIT are involved in the HECTOR School Master Program Management of Product Development:
- Department of Marketing
- Institute of Economic Policy Research
- Institute of Finance, Banking and Insurance
- Institute of High Frequency Technology and Electronics
- Institute of Industrial Production
- Institute of Information Law
- Institute of Information Processing Technology
- Institute of Applied Business Studies and Management
- Institute of Applied Informatics and Formal Description Methods
- Institute of Economic Theory and Statistics
- Institute of Industrial Information Technology
- Institute of Materials for Electrical Engineering
- Institute of Micro- and Nanoelectronic Systems
- Institute of Photonics and Quantum Electronics
- Institute of Product Development
- Light Technology Institute