Master of Science in Information Systems Engineering and Management
In the recent years, the topic of digital transformation in companies and the needs of qualified employees has developed rapidly. In the context of digital transformation, companies face the challenge of qualifying their employees as an "enabler" at the interface of business and IT.
In the Master´s program in Information Systems Engineering and Management, IT specialists and computer scientists as well as business administrators and engineers will be enabled to advance internal and external digitalization and to assume leadership functions, especially in the field of digital transformation of companies.
- Blockchain Technology
- Cloud Computing
- Artifical Intelligence (AI) & Machine Learning
- IT Security & Privacy
- Artificial Intelligence as a Services (AIaaS)
- Structure: Part-time (but enrolled as a fulltime student)
10 modules x 2 weeks in Karlsruhe + master thesis in the company or at a KIT institute
- 5 Engineering Modules: Technological expertise
- 5 Management Modules: Leadership know-how
- Duration: Approx. 20 months (modules 14 months + master thesis 6 months)
- Language: English
- Degree: Master of Science (M.Sc.) of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), 90 ECTS
- Start: Every year in October
- Application deadline: There is none. We have a rolling application process.
- Costs: 7,500 Euro tuition fee per semester (based on a regular 2-years study period).
- Admission requirements: First academic degree (e.g. Bachelor, Master or Diploma), at least 1-2 years work experience, English language proficiency. Find more here.
- Accreditation: by aaq
Master the Digital Transformation and Bridge the Gap Between IT and Business
The Master's program Information Systems Engineering & Management is splitted in 5 Engineering and 5 Management Modules of 2 weeks, each over a period of 15 months. The modules are followed by a Master Thesis written in the company (6 months) and often used as a innovation project for the company. The overall duration is approx. 20 months.
|Engineering Modules||Management Modules|
"Probability and Statistics", and
Ms. Katrin Olböter
Junior Manager Recruitment & Admissions
info∂ hectorschool com
+49 721 608 47019
Program Content & Specialization
Digital products and services will characterize tomorrow’s world, and organizations are digitally transformed across all functional areas. The Master’s Program Information Systems Engineering and Management qualifies graduates to drive the digital transformation of products, services, and organizations from a business and IT perspective. Graduates encounter digitalization challenges with an engineering orientation and solve them with the help of modern management methods.
Choose between the two Specializations "Digital Services" and "Autonomous Robotics" in Information Systems Engineering and Management:
Specialization "Digital Services"
- Immediate globalization capabilities, agile development and deployment, individualization of delivered solutions
- Availability of “Big Data” and sophisticated AI-based analytics, enable customer intimacy, improve internal efficiency
- Connect service (eco)systems via digital services and create smarter systems
Specialization "Autonomous Robotics"
- Designing and creating in a production or logistics context.
- Smart manufacturing and automation with Industry 4.0
- Cloud, Fog Robotics
- Designing, creating, and controlling autonomous robots
- Controlling of collaborating robots (including lab)
Program Structure & Academic Calendar
The concurrently taught Executive Master Program is designed for working professionals. Block lectures scheduled at intervals allow participants to continue with demanding careers while acquiring new skills.
5 Management Modules presents broader knowledge in management know-how, including two modules conveying the universal topic of digitisation and the associated disruptive innovations. The 5 Engineering Modules provide deeper knowledge in technological topics.
Download the Academic Calendar Intake 2023 (PDF)
Content Overview & Learning Targets
Order now our "Content Overview and Learning Targets" (COLT) to get a better understanding of your favored Master Program. You will get an overview over
- Study objectives (e.g. professional qualification for certain activities, scientific practice, knowledge of methods)
- Structure of the program
- Content and definition of courses (sub-areas, focal points)
- Study plan
Click here to request your "Content Overview and Learning Targets" handbook.
Economic Sector & Career Perspectives
Participants of Information Systems Engineering and Management
In the program Information Systems Engineering and Management, you can find (inter)national graduates with a Bachelor's or Master´s degree in Economics, Computer Science, Business Informatics, Information Management, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, or Industrial Engineering and Management - always with initial work experience.
Enablers of Digital Transformation are line of business representatives with a business or an engineering background as well as IT specialists and can have positions like:
- Information/ Communication Technology Manager
- IT Coordinator / IT Consultant
- IT Service Manager / IT Integration Manager
- Product Manager
- Project Manager
- Engineers e.g. in Product Development, Production
- All industries affected by the digital transformation
- Specializations qualify graduates for new opportunities in e.g.: IT, telco, automotive, consulting, production, logistics, finance, media, trading, public as well as health sector.
Career Perspectives after Graduation
The ongoing digitalization of economy, industry, and society is increasing the demand for skilled workers. Various fields of activity are opening up in high-tech industry, manufacturing companies, small and middle-sized companies as well as IT start-ups and service companies, especially with regard to digital services and industry 4.0.
Capturing the emerging opportunities requires globally thinking visionaries and managers, who are able to combine profound competence in information technology with excellent know-how in management. This opens up excellent and sought-after job profiles for graduates.
Academic Requirements & Admission Statutes
- University degree in a relevant subject
- Professional experience (at least 1-2 years) & current employment
- English proficiency
Detailed description of all admission requirements
We highly recommend to participate in the offered crash course* "Probability and Statistic” and to diversify your skill set in self-study** in case you do not have a background in java, networks, or database systems.
Download here the statutes for admission (German PDF) to the Master's program in Information Systems Engineering and Management.
Program Directors & Faculties
Prof. Dr. Andreas Oberweis
Prof. Dr. Ralf Reussner
Prof. Dr. Martin E. Ruckes
KIT Teaching Quality
The HECTOR School offers top-level teaching derived from state-of-the-art research at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT). Numerous institutes and departments of the KIT are involved in the HECTOR School Master´s program Information Systems Engineering and Management:
- Institute of Information Systems and Marketing (IISM)
- Institute of Economic Policy Research
- Institute of Finance, Banking and Insurance
- Institute of High Frequency Technology and Electronics
- Institute of Industrial Production
- Institute of Information Law
- Institute of Information Processing Technology
- Institute of Applied Business Studies and Management
- Institute of Applied Informatics and Formal Description Methods
- Institute of Economic Theory and Statistics
- Institute of Industrial Information Technology
- Institute of Materials for Electrical Engineering
- Institute of Micro- and Nanoelectronic Systems
- Institute of Photonics and Quantum Electronics
- Institute of Product Development
- Light Technology Institute
Interested in globalization capabilities, availability of “Big Data” and AI-based analytics and the connection via of service systems? Find out more about the Specialization "Digital Services" in the Master´s program Information Systems Engineering and Management.Read more here
Digital Transformation through designing, creating and controlling autonomous robots in a production or logistics context sounds interesting to you? Find out more about the Specialization "Autonomous Robotics" in the Master´s program Information Systems Engineering and Management.Read more here
If you have any inquiries regarding our programs, the application process and more our Program Consultants are eager to help.Ask us
Find out which requirements you need in order to be admitted to our Master's programs.READ MORE
Unsure about how to apply to our Master's programs?READ MORE
We assist you in finding the best education program to fit your individual needs and career profile.READ MORE
Faces behind HECTOR School: Program Director Prof. Reussner gives insights.READ MORE
Crash Course “Probability and Statistics”: Participants without experience in the field of probability have to take part in the Crash Course “Probability and Statistics” taking place from October 31 to November 11, 2022. Thanks to the blended learning format you can schedule the courses yourself within these two weeks. You have an exchange with the lecturer during video meetings in order to prepare yourself optimally for the start of your studies.
We highly recommend all applicants to participate in the courses to update the technical knowledge, as it might be the crucial factor for a successful degree at HECTOR School.
Certificate Course "Programming": The Certificate Course Programming provides basic knowledge and allows repeating foundations of object-oriented programming which is prerequisite to the software engineering courses in the Master´s program Information Systems Engineering and Management. In particular, knowledge provided in this course is prerequisite to understand software design principles and patterns, software architecture, component-based software engineering which all is part of the module Software Engineering. The course will take place February 28 to March 3, 2023. Find here » more information about the Certificate Course Programming
Java Crash Course: We recommend all participants to diversity their skill set to best tackle any challenges that may arise in their studies and careers. For example, picking up some basic experience in Java can really go a long way, if you do not have an IT background. You can attend i.e. a Java crash course online to gain a deeper understanding of the basics. Best of all, participation is free or you can sign up for a pro account and access additional functions. Showing initiative by actively seeking out new skills and training opportunities reflects positively on prospective participants currently undertaking the interview process. Be sure to bring up any participation certificates you might have when holding your interview with your Program Director.